February 15, 2017

Merry Christmas, Darling

I get what you're thinking, "Mia, Christmas ended 2 months ago. Have you lost your mind?" And the answer is no. I have not.

Let me go back to mid December. I decided to hang out with my grandma one night, I picked her up and we drove through the park lights and listened to Christmas music. The song 'Merry Christmas Darling' came on, after the line "I've just one wish on this Christmas Eve, I wish I were with you' my Grandma said "I get how she feels, I wish I could spend Christmas with Tom" and in that moment, my heart broke. And ever since my Grandma said those words, I've thought a lot about my Grandpa over the last little while. More than I have since he died, probably.

My Grandpa died 15 years ago this week. I was 9 at the time. When I was told, I just remember thinking "I don't remember the last thing I said to him" and that haunted me for a long time. And sometimes, I still wish that I could remember.

When my Grandma talks about my Grandpa, she just lights up. But I don't recall her ever being anything but strong. When she said those words 2 months ago, I thought about how hard it must have been. It was quite sudden, they were on vacation in California. He got sick, they went to the hospital and found out that he had cancer. My mom and her 4 sisters went out there to be with my grandparents. All the grandkids played the harmonicas they got us for Christmas.

My grandpa was an amazing artist. And I know he paints the sunsets. 15 years later and I miss him more than ever and I know my Grandma does but want to hear the best part? He's waiting for us. We'll see him again. I can't wait to hear about the reunion between my grandparents.

My aunts say that my grandpa always felt bad that he had never left any sort of legacy or inheritance for his family. But he did. Our family is closer than any other family I've heard of. And when I say our family, I mean our WHOLE family. Aunt, uncles, cousins, even our cousin's kids. My cousin's are my best friends. And want to hear something even cooler? Everyone who is able, holds a temple recommend. And that's better than any physical thing my Grandpa could have left behind.





1 comment: